Sunday, September 25, 2011

Overcoming the On-The-Go Dilema: Snacking

The challenges I am going to talk about today concern snacktime. I LOVE to snack. If I could eat food all day long I would. Unhealthy junk food, of course! lol. Being in school just adds to the temptation of eating. I eat so irregularly, and end up eating often. I also get stressed, and bored, and whatever else I'm feeling at the moment, and tend to use those feelings as excuses to splurge and eat whatever I feel like.


#3: Boredom Snacking
I am the kind of person who likes to eat pretty much no matter what I'm doing. If I am driving to or from work, I like to eat. If I'm off work and watching tv, or on my computer, I like to eat. During the school year, however, I like to eat in class, on my way to class, in between class, etc.
Moral of the story: I like to eat!

Solution
What I started to do in order to combat this unhealthy snacking obsession, was to stock up on snacks that were healthier for me. Or at least not completely bad ;)
I love to keep apples on hand. They are so tasty, take a while to eat, and are fullfilling.
I also like to keep a variety of pre-packaged type snacks, (Those 100 calorie snack packs are 3 pts each!) as well of fruit bars like Kashi ones.

Another thing that I do since I inevitably will end up snacking, if I take this into consideration when planning and eating my other meals during the day. I opt for smaller portions of things to keep the points for those weak moments that I have where I just have to have something to munch on. Pre-planning what I'm going to eat that day also significantly helps make sure I don't exceed my daily points allocated.

#4 Evening Snacking
So nighttime snacking is also a huge weakness. Mostly because I love to relax in the evening. But also partly because I am still new to the whole idea of focusing on my food.
Before now, part of relaxing and enjoying my evening, or any time during the day for that matter, was to take part in some kind of super yummy snack.

Solution

SO, the biggest part of this solution is simply redefining things. I have had to completely rework my behaviors related to snacking. Part of this is simply just learning self control. Its a tough one though. So, once again, my solution for this, is the same as before, by having pre-portioned snacks available, and saving points for the evening.

Of course with any type of snacking, the best advice is to find an alternate activity. So what better to do than to exercise! Did you know an hour of light walking gains you back 5 points? How cool is that! I know it makes me excited!


Well, that's it for today. Tomorrow I will be talking about meal planning, and what I've learned so far that has helped me these last two months!
Healthy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment