Saturday, September 24, 2011

Overcoming the On-The-Go Dilema: Breakfast

Probably my number one challenge during school regarding food, is being lazy about meal planning. I hardly ever take the time out of my day or morning to prepare lunch in advance. Its so costly, and it ends up causing me to over-snack, and over-eat. Of course that isn't the only challenge.

Today I'll share the first two problems, and I'll share more tomorrow! Here goes!

#1 Passing on Breakfast
If you are anything like me, you savor every minute of sleep you can get, especially being a full-time student, having a part-time job, and spending anywhere from 1-2 hours a day driving.

I tend to just speed on past breakfast, and grab coffee on my way out, and maybe a granola bar, or whatever munchies I have laying around.
Now, I'm not saying granola bars are bad, but let's face it. Its soo much better to eat a fullfilling breakfast!

Solution
Lately, I started adding english muffins to my shopping lists.. it only takes a couple minutes to toast, and while its toasting, I cook an egg, add a slice of cheese, and call it good.
If you use a whole wheat english muffin, 1 egg, and a slice of lowfat cheese, its only 7 pts+ on WW. Super simple, and the whole wheat makes it super filling. Of course, I also like to grab an apple, banana, or some other fruit to eat on the way out the door!

#2 Coffee
Ok this is a tough one. Where I work, almost every single girl comes in to work with a Starbucks in hand, and whenever we would go on breaks, we would get more coffee. Of course, with the mochas, iced fraps, and other delicious treats, its hard to stay focused on healthy choices.
Not to mention expensive.

Solution
What I decided to do, was to just flat out make the switch to plain ol coffe. At first it was tough. But it was nice, because I could get a large coffee, and the only points I have to count were the milk or half & half, and the sugar that I added. Of course I also like to add a pump of chocolate sometimes, but its only a couple points total, for a huge drink! Same thing goes with their iced coffee with milk. Keep the sweetener, and its like 3 points for a large (and frankly, much tastier then those Dutch Bros iced drinks I was getting... and they use only a TINY bit of ice!! Bonus!!).
Either choice, its only a couple points as opposed to the 7 and more points for the fancier and pricier drinks.


So that seems to cover my morning issues. Hopefully I have enlightened you somehow! Haha.
Tomorrow I'll be focusing on lunch battles!
If you have any other suggestions for overcoming these, or similar issues, leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment